Thursday, April 5, 2012


“But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor.” Galatians 6:4

We always compare ourselves to others, don’t we?  Whether the way someone looks, or how good they are at something, or their possessions. It never ends well either. Pride creeps in, or we get discouraged with who we are. This is not the kind of attitude God wants us to have. What’s the remedy? Test your own work. Don’t worry about what other people are doing, saying, or receiving. God has given each person different gifts, callings, and physical appearances. What kind of progress as a body would we make if we were all hands or all eyes? Use the gifting’s, the calling and the physical appearances for the Glory of God and for the purposes He set out before you. If you do this, your boasting won’t be in yourself, or in your neighbor, because without God, you wouldn’t have the gifts or even life for that matter, but the boasting will be in the Lord God. 1 Corinthians 1:31 says so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”

I find myself guilty of comparing myself with people on a daily basis. It has become a deep-rooted habit, which is not beneficial to me, the body of believers around me, or my relationship with the Lord. I don’t want to live my life comparing myself with others, I want to be thankful for what I have, and use it for the Lord. I know this will be a process, and I’m willing to make a commitment to be content with what I have, and not desire more or different gifting’s. I am going to make a list of gifts God has given me, and praise God for each one, and ask him to strengthen me in areas that I’m lacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment