Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hola!

            I can’t believe it’s already my 3rd day in Costa Rica. The time at the Ranch went by so fast. Costa Rica isn’t ANYTHING like Montana. It’s hot, and humid, but it’s beautiful. I’m so thankful to God because he brought me here with Meg and Josh, and I couldn’t imagine being here with anyone else.
            Wednesday was our travel day. The first leg of the journey was hard because I had just said goodbye to my parents, and it was my first airport experience without anyone with me. But, I made it to Houston, where I met up with Megan and Josh, and it was a sweet reunion. We got into Liberia a little after 8, and had a problem at customs (poor Megan…everything is going to work out though) and met up with Brooke and Matt outside the airport. They are the sweetest couple, and made us feel very welcome. We stopped at McDonalds to get some food before we drove an hour and 15 minutes to our apartment. When we got there, it was dark, and we found a couple cockroaches, which stirred up some fear. Needless to say, we didn’t sleep through the whole night on Wednesday.          
            Thursday we woke up really early because of jetlag, but enjoyed some time fellowshipping, and getting to know our surroundings. Around lunchtime, Matt came and picked us up so we could have lunch at their house, followed by orientation. After orientation, we had some time to rest, and then we went to Bible Club. It was awesome meeting Rebecca (Pastor Phil’s wife) and her children, and all the other workers and children that attend the club. It was a little scary because we don’t know the language, and the kids would be speaking to us, and I had no idea what they were saying. Please pray that God gives me an understanding of Spanish, so that I can use it to glorify His name.
            Friday morning we had a free day until 630. Our plan was to sleep in, but again, jetlag got the best of us. Doug, a guy that lives with Matt and Brooke, came over and brought us a jug of water, and then Megan and I walked to the fruit and vegetable stand. We bought tons of vegetables and fruits, for only 14$... 7,000 Colones. We came back, and we all took a nap. Megan and I slept from 10-2. It was exactly what the both of us needed. When we work up, Josh made us some sandwiches, and I made some homemade salsa, and we enjoyed our first meal together. Afterwards we played some cards, and then we went to La Roca, which is youth group. We met a guy named Eddy, and Daniel. We played game that was like Never Have I Ever mixed with Do You Like Your Neighbor, and we played a cool rendition of Hot Potato. Don Victor, taught the bible study, and it was on the story of Easter. Luckily, we had Ethan, Brooke and Matt’s son to translate for us. We ended the night playing worship in Spanish with Eddy and Daniel.
            Today, we woke up and I made eggs, and potatoes with toast, and Josh, Megan and I shared breakfast together. Doug brought us to the beach, and then bought us lunch at Subway and then shakes at this quaint little shack next door. We came back around 2, and I was able to talk with my parents and my brother. Now, we have the rest of the day off, so we’ll probably just hang out, and enjoy the time off. Tomorrow morning is our first church service here, so I’m really excited about that. On Monday our 40 hour work week starts, so from then on we’ll be really tired. It’s going to be amazing though.

Please keep the 3 of us in prayer, as we begin this journey in Costa Rica. That we would learn Spanish easily, that God would be glorified and that we would be safe and healthy through the whole experience.

God bless you all,
Caitie


This is the front of our apartment, disregard the sheet hanging ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment