Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Proverbs 31:5


“Lest they drink and forget what has been decreed and pervert the right of the afflicted” -Proverbs 31:5

 My mind is trying to wrap itself around this verse. How can this speak to me? I don’t drink alcohol, and I’m not in authority. But alcohol isn’t the only thing that can hinder your effectiveness. My problem is with something I can’t run away from, FOOD. It’s my drug of choice. Whether I’m happy or sad, or mad or whatever, food helps me forget about the world, and relax. Like any other addiction, this problem doesn’t just affect me, but it affects others as well. It takes away from the impact of my words. My Dad is a Pastor, and once a month he would go to a place called TLC, which stands for transformation life center. This place was for men struggling with addictions, and he would preach. Like myself, my Dad has a problem with food. God revealed to him that his addiction was just as severe as the men he was preaching to, and how can these men listen to him when he has a thorn in his own eye. Like my Dad did, I’m realizing how my witness can be altered by this blatant sin in my life. How can I be an effective witness for Christ when I’m continually struggling with the sin in my life?

I had started doing the Lord’s Table a couple weeks ago to help me with this problem, but I got discouraged when I got sick and missed a few days. I know I need to respect the vessel God gave me, and I know I need to continue on with this devotional. I am going to start again tomorrow, and finish out the program. I ask you all to keep me accountable to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment